Monday, January 21, 2008

BookTV…Me, and the other three

There is a certain sense of anticipation that arises along about Thursday night. I suppose that is part of the reason I find it so difficult to fall asleep. At least more difficult than normal. There is an electric sense of expectancy with more that just the weekend on its wings. No, there is something more. I rush about Friday telling my students this fabulous premonition that I know will come to pass, because I have witnessed it every weekend. The phenomenon is BookTV.

Never heard of it?...I’m not surprised. I have been told by an excellent source that I alone comprise one quarter of the viewing population of this regularly occurring weekend extravaganza. What it is? Simply, it is some of the best non-fiction writing put to air on cable television by the authors. Sometimes, it involves panels. This is when things get really heady and no one knows where the discussion may end up.

Sounds like something that Ralph Nader would drool over…Think again. I have been surprised to find that many of the teachers in our district’s social studies department regularly watch this program on the weekend. In fact, I think that seventy-fiver percent of the supposed viewing audience resides within the school district I teach in. However, I am skeptical that we three are almost all of the viewing audience for BookTV.

It should come as no surprise that the majority of the known viewing audience, from my perspective, is made up of teachers. The best time to watch BookTV is during school breaks…Christmas, Easter, MLK Day, etc. These breaks just so happen to correspond with legislative recesses. This is when C-SPAN has huge blocks of time open for programming. It follows that there is nothing better and more appealing that having nonfiction authors present their books. Who really wants to watch replays of the Bork confirmation hearings or the Iran-Contra hearings? Excellent fodder for students political science and government policy, but we know the outcome. It’s similar to watching ESPN Classic. We all know, if we’re interested, who won the 1984 Rose Bowl. While some of the plays may be memorable, the whole game is not.

On a more personal level, BookTV is a source for me. I am a reading junkie. I do not travel in social circles that have connections with the publishing houses of the East Coast or cavort with the literati. It is up to me to find new and interesting books. BookTV is my supplier of some of these titles. When I don’t get regular exposure, I do go through withdraw. It is an addiction. One that I happily imbibe in. I make no apologies, nor any excuses.

So, when you are cruising along the digital dial during the weekend and come across some channel with someone talking about their book on the insanity of Lincoln’s spouse or the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, take a moment and indulge yourself. You may find something you like and pick up the book at your local store or library. It may even serve as a bridge in an airport or cafĂ©. Mention you heard about it on BookTV and it is almost guaranteed that a conversation will properly ensue with the other individual. Don’t mind the strange looks. You get used to them. I promise.

No comments: